Posts

Thursday, October 24, 2013

mini SICB (regional DVM/DCB)

I am mid getting ready for the joint DVM/DCB (Division of Vertebrate Morphology/Division of Comparative Biomechanics) Northeast Regional SICB meeting.  SICB is the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology (link).  The 'big' SICB happens in January and this year it will be in Austin, Texas which is exciting (warm weather in January- big fun conference...)!  SICB is a fun group because people who study lots of different animals get together to discuss everything from behavior to physiology and morphology.  There are lots of different 'divisions' in SICB with most people involved with at least 2.  I think I'm in 3 or so... DVM, DCPB (or is it DPCB ?? see below) and DAB (Division of Animal Behavior). They don't have DM (division of mammals) nor do the have a DC (division of Chiropterologists- (people who study bats)).



From the SICB website (red text is my emphasis.... I am curious: is there anyone affiliated with all or all but one of these?!  I will investigate- worry not!)

"Divisions of SICB

Members are allowed to choose affiliations with as many divisions as they wish.

At the regional meeting of us 'northeasteners' (which I guess now includes me- I'll work on embracing that drastic change) I will be presenting my work with bats with a focus exciting images I am getting from Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM).  I look forward to some exciting updates for you but for right now I can only say that I'm busy getting my power point (talk) wrapped up.  Currently, this means making what is a 10 minute talk into a 5 minute talk!  I guess having lots to say is better than the alternative.

*Bear with me- as I wouldn't usually post a Dave Matthew's Band video-- but this one is in my head...and is so appropriate but careful!  It's sticky!



"Joint DVM/DCB Northeastern Regional Meeting 2013

The 2013 joint DVM/DCM Northeast Regional SICB meeting will be held at Yale University on Saturday, October 26, 2013.

The meeting will be hosted by Yale's Department of Geology and Geophysics, in New Haven, Connecticut. Following last year's successful format, students and faculty will deliver 5-minute general session talks that will be interspersed with a handful of 10-minute talks with a broader focus, with ample opportunity for questions and discussion.

Lunch and snacks will be included in the registration fee, and we anticipate convening at a nearby pub for a post-meeting celebration.

Please visit the link below for more information:
http://earth.yale.edu/sicb-joint-dvmdcb-northeastern-regional-meeting-october-26-2013"

No comments:

Post a Comment